Wednesday, November 5, 2008

AWESOME!!

Today is a bright, shining moment in our history. It is, to borrow a idea, the dawning of our second youth, or perhaps, the start of a new maturation. We have once again shown that a people where slavery divided us bitterly, cost us lives and honor, can rise above our past to a better future.

I congratulate Barack Obama - his decision to run in 50 states was, along with Howard Dean's, brilliant. I congratulate the American people who, through $10 and $20 contributions leveled a playing field long set against them, but mostly I congratulate our nation on showing compassion for all is truly an American trait.

Finally, I congratulate and applaud John McCain, his acceptance speech was nothing short of breath-taking - we saw the man I've come to admire - we saw the man as he should be remembered.

4 comments:

  1. I think people should take a lesson from John McCain and not listen to handlers. The John McCain that was on Saturday Night Live and that gave the speech last night would have done much better. I am not sure he would have won but it definately would not have been over at 10:30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I'm an Obama supporter and think he would have won in just about any case (given the present economic and cultural conditions), I agree with "ttucker" that the election would have been much closer had McCain been allowed to be McCain.

    As it happens, however, he has been long-since forced into a robotic, trademarked "conservative" role, and it simply doesn't ring true, given what we know of the pre-2004 (or thereabouts) McCain.

    I also agree with the vast majority of what Penigma has to say in this post. For instance, Senator McCain's concession speech was superb (though many in his audience were not).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above. I think that the economy sank Senator McCain. But, I also agree that one shouldn't listen to one's handlers too much. I will always wonder if Palin was his idea, or some attempt to bring the "base" to vote for him. It had the effect of driving people like me, (who under some circumstances might have voted for him) to vote otherwise.

    The concession speech last night was one of the greatest I've ever heard. Truly, a great American and a great statesman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally think it was less the economy than McCain's reaction to it.

    His artificial suspension of his campaign, and his basic 'cave' on the original comprimise (he punted when the spotlight was on him), hurt him a lot.

    Add to that a fairly poor performance (overall) in the debatees, though he did better as time went on, AND the very poor decision to pick Palin, and the public just saw him as a little to 'knee-jerk' and unplanned. They didnt' feel comfortable having him handle the economy as a result.

    That doomed him, imho.

    ReplyDelete