Sunday, September 27, 2009

Take my Oscar, please :)

I am not a writer, I use pronouns too much, and identify the object of my prepositions too little. Still, I try. Sometimes I try because one of the greatest things about blogging is that it sometimes offers you an opportunity to do something very cathartic. It allows you to write out your feelings about personal 'epiphanies' and also allows you to go back and refresh your understanding of the spirit and ideals of that epihpany. Of course, those are mostly personal feelings, so clearly blogs also can be a reflection of narcissism –this post is likely a bit of that, but I ask for your forgiveness for it.

So, I am not a writer...I am, if anything, a glorified problem-solver and/or jack-of-all trades. This has made me valuable because I get many things done, and if I can say with humility, often much more so than most. The consequence of getting so much done is my job is frequently stressful. This past week was one of the worst I’ve had. While the pay is excellent, the effort level is extraordinary. On Friday night I found myself wondering why I’d ever taken the job, and realized I’d done so for good and bad reasons. The good of course was it paid the bills, the bad, it paid so well I could afford things I didn’t need, but have missed the things I do need. The stress of it has often turned me into a grouch; I snap at my wife, I miss my children’s successes and hurts, and I find myself struggling to be the man I would rather be. I am too often concerned with the material world, and too little seeking simply to be kind, funny, or supportive.

On Friday night I watched a movie I had been avoiding watching. It was called, “The Bucket List.” As I expected it was difficult to watch, and I am often a wimp about such things, namely confronting the feelings I know such movies will engender. It was a movie about two terminally-ill men trying to squeeze into a few weeks many of the things in life they’d wished desperately to have experienced, but of course, it was really about grasping the meaning of their lives – and most especially, finding joy in their families, both those immediately around them and those they’d failed to appreciate. As I suspected it might, it made me question the way in which I act, the direction of my life. There was a particularly poignant moment where Morgan Freedman asked Jack Nicholson if he knew the two questions which the Ancient Egyptians had to answer to get into heaven. The first being, “Have you experienced joy in your life,” and the second, “Have you brought joy to the lives of others?” I sat and thought about both, and felt I could say “yes” to the first, but only, “I hope so” to the second – when the movie was over, I was left feeling that I wanted to be sure that I did so, more succinctly, that I this week I turned 45, and I decided that at 45 I was going to try to be sure I would not worry about the answer to that question at 65 (or 75). I also decided that I was not the person, the happy and kind person I want to be. Whether I can change that will be a work in progress.

I watched another movie on Saturday night called, “Julie and Julia.” It was, quite simply, one of the best movies I have seen in years. It was utterly charming. Meryll Streep played a delightful, warm, irrepressible, and playful Julia Child in a way which few other actresses have every played a role – she simply was Julia Child. This movie was about writing (and preparing food from) the book Child took a decade to write. Well on its face it was cooking, but in truth, it was about a love of life, and especially, the love in a marriage between Child and her husband of almost 50 years, Paul Child. It was also juxtaposed against Julie Powell, a 2002 office worker who spent a year preparing all of Child's recipes from that same book, and in so doing, like Child, discovering herself and redefining her life and marriage. She was cute, often adorable, but the essence of the movie was about the determination of both women to have a life with purpose. In their case it was cooking, but through it, they found joy. Much of that search was defined and bolstered by the men in their lives. These men stood by them at every downward turn. In a funny irony to the old saying that ‘behind every successful man there is a good woman’, they were the ‘man behind the successful woman.’ Each simply relished the wonderful person they married, even with the piques of temper or flights of whimsy. They saw thru all of it to the funny, kind, charming, meaningful and decent person they had been fortunate enough to be able to spend their lives with.

I walked out of this movie feeling what I have not felt very often, or often enough, recently. I walked out remembering why I fell in love, and how lucky I am to have such a fine person standing by me. I walked out wanting to be like Paul Child, wanting to be joyful, and most importantly, wanting to bring joy into the lives of those around me. Oh sure, the Paul Child of this movie was a caricature, but he reflected an ideal, an essence, I want to capture and hope to reflect. All in all, both movies spoke about the need to have purpose, but not just any purpose, a purpose to enjoy life, to be warm, and to find joy.

There was a time in my life that epiphanies like those I experienced this weekend were the norm, because of the skill of an artful Priest, who wove deeply meaningful truths into his sermons. I recognize, once again, as his sermons often helped me to that I am surrounded by marvelously, wonderfully decent people - both friends and family, and really nothing I can own brings me the same sense of happiness as simply being with them. For it seems as if I was offered such a sermon this weekend – and I offer it my own Oscar – for, God willing, I shall be putting my personal grouch back in the can, and need it no longer.

8 comments:

  1. Penigma wrote: There was a particularly poignant moment where Morgan Freedman asked Jack Nicholson if he knew the two questions which the Ancient Egyptians had to answer to get into heaven. The first being, “Have you experienced joy in your life,” and the second, “Have you brought joy to the lives of others?” I sat and thought about both, and felt I could say “yes” to the first, but only, “I hope so” to the second

    If thoe ancient Egyptian gate-keepers ask me, Pen, about bringing joy to the lives of others, sign me up for a big "yes". And I might add, more than joy, but other very important qualities.

    Now, I will have to admit that it is easier for me to get a chuckle out of ToE than it has been to get one out of you, so if this means you will laugh more and find more pleasure in life, I am delighted - for you and for your family.

    It has been an undiluted pleasure to work with you on Penigma, and to become closer to both you and ToE as friends. You, Pen, are incredibly easy to work with as a blogging partner. I thank you for that opportunity.

    I assured ToE last week that our conversations felt like my mind was being allowed to run free, 'off-leash', in that we often range very far afield from our original topic, and into some very esoteric areas that I don't find in common with very many people. You're special ability Pen is the opposite, to bring me focus, to flex mental muscles and skills which I might otherwise not use -- something which I appreciate just as much.

    I wish you a very happy birthday, and many, many more to come.

    (You can be a bit too serious perhaps, but NEVER a grouch, Pen!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that IMHO for someone who isn’t a writer Pen that was very well said.
    I find it quite ironic that I opened up the blog page and read this post first thing this morning and less than 24 hours ago I myself allowed the stresses of my job to get to me and I snapped at my fiancée when she asked me for something via text message while I was at work having been called in outside of normal business hours.

    I work as the Site IT Team Lead for one location of a very large accounting firm that has locations all across the USA as well as in East Asia and Europe. They are in the midst of the processes that are done for the end of the fiscal year, which does not coincide with the calendar year. The clients have been very stressed out, some of which is self-inflicted, which of course bleeds over to my team and I.
    Much like Penigma I feel that my job does pay quite well, although I certainly would not complain if I was paid more, which is why I have not sought other employment.

    Getting back to the point of this story; a combination of lack of sleep, they called me and woke me approximately 3 hours after I’d finally managed to fall asleep from Friday night, an already stressful work week earlier in the week, and a sense of entitlement to some down time free of whining, crying, complaining, etc. I was in less than an agreeable mood. I think it especially important to point out that the whining, crying and complaining is not from my 17 year old stepson or my 13 year old stepdaughter but the from gaggle of 20-60 something year olds employed of the company I support who are allegedly adults.

    I often find myself considering the theory that adults are nothing more than children who’ve been around a very long time and note that maturing in the social and psychological sense is not a prerequisite to advancing chronologically in life. Somewhere in the timescale approximately 5 hours after being woken from a sound sleep I managed to return home and to attempt to go back to sleep. Literally a few minutes after I’d manage to fall back to sleep my phone rings again and I have to return to the office again for round two which takes approximately 3 more hours during that 3 hour block my fiancée texts me asking me for the login to my Amazon account so that she can look for some books she needs for school and put them on the wish list so that I can later on look at what she needs and purchase them when the budget allows. While sending her the info she texts me again which interrupts and kicks me out of the rather long reply message I was sending her. It was a busy time I was frustrated and rather than try to text her again I try to call, she didn’t answer, which got me even more agitated, and then texts me to tell me that she can’t answer the phone because it’s charging and will not let her answer the call. I sent her a rather grumpy reply which although not vulgar and offensive was rather condescending and unnecessary and therefore hurt her feelings. I resent her the info and then pushed the matter into the back of my mind and went back to what I was working on. It was not until later when I returned home that I realized exactly how much I was out of line. She was not the object of my ire, the job was, and she was just the scapegoat for it. I have since apologized to her. She said she understood and that no apology was necessary but I apologized anyway because in my mind it was necessary and appropriate given that my state of mind wasn’t her fault and because it was wrong of me to hurt someone who I care for very deeply. It is sad that, by “knee jerk” reaction, we seem to have the most patience with the people who deserve it the least and the least with those who deserve it the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taveren wrote: "I often find myself considering the theory that adults are nothing more than children who’ve been around a very long time and note that maturing in the social and psychological sense is not a prerequisite to advancing chronologically in life."

    Equally well said Taveren.

    I pointed out to both Pen and ToE earlier today a though along parallel lines to yours. In that instance, it was the observation that there is a difference between individuals who are men in the full sense of the word; versus those who are 'merely' male, in possession of 'Y' cromosomes and the attendant anatomical differences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tavaren,

    First of all, welcome to commenting on Penigma. I don't recall you doing so previously.

    Second, we all let our frustrations boil over, but it requires an introspective and concerned mind and heart to realize we have acted sacntimoniously, self-righteously, perhaps selfishly. That you examined yourself and found your conduct unacceptable probably speaks volumes alone - that you apologized regardless of the 'need' but simply because you felt it was right - suggests to me that you have a fine soul. I'm sure your fiance' sees this, I hope you do to.

    My point among many in writing this is to remind myself to seek to bring joy, rather than simply 'things', into the world around me. I am happy when I do, I cannot tell you how infectous my son's laugh is, but it gladdeens my heart every time he truly laughs, and I'd trade 100 sail boats, or 10 motorcycles, for 10 of those days where I know I've made him feel happy, as well as good about himself.

    Here's to being joyful, and letting go of those things which in the end really aren't important.

    As the sayings go:

    He who dies with the most toys.. still dies.

    And the best things in life.. aren't things.

    Thank you for commenting.

    DG - as always, thank you for your supportive heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taveren, let me extend a welcome to you here on penigma as well. I hope you will enjoy what you read here, and I hope you will continue to post here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was touching and poignant. A bit like a confession, but more a testament. 'Tis a pity you aren't in the priesthood, you have a knack for writing sermons without intending to do so. Many of us work for hours on a sermon, only to find that they're boring and quite unmoving. This was hardly either of those. Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I resisted the temptation to make a Sesame Street reference, an Oscar for the Grouch (Oscar the Grouch?)......whoops, I shoulda said I ALMOST resisted ...you get it. (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The use/double-entendre of Oscar/Oscar the Grouch was purposeful :).

    ReplyDelete