Despite what the mass, mainstream media would like to have people believe: my decision to vote for Jill Stein was not totally based on Hillary Clinton being the "Democratic party" nominee.
First off, Bernie Sanders' running in the primary showed that process to be a sham. Not that I couldn't have guessed since the primaries were pretty much settled by the time I could vote in them. My critique of that system would be another post in and of itself.
There are other issues in the system of US elections which show it is neither a democracy or a republic. And threatening to overthrow the government shows one doesn't believe in either system. Again, a whole different post.
Now I see people like Chuck Schumer and Joe Liberman applauding Trump's decision to move the US embassy to Jerusalem: Can I support the Democratic party if it wants to prop up the REAL rogue Middle Eastern State?
I support the Palestinian right of return, which is sanctioned by international law. Yet, the two US parties have failed to do anything about this issue.
Voting for Clinton based solely on the fact that she was a woman and not Trump would have been a protest vote. Instead, I saw the possibility of Clinton having a landslide victory against Trump as a reason to vote for a party I truly supported.
And she won the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes, which is not an insignificant number. The fact that was the case, but is buried behind "Russian interference" in the US election makes me sad. That is the only drawback to having voted the way I did.
The two party system has a lock on the US political climate to the point that those of us with alternative opinions are shut out of the debate.
No, my one vote was not wasted, but I believe it would have really been wasted had I voted for one of the duopoly candidates.
- Why the fuck do we have the electoral college anyway? Let’s discuss this shit show
- The Electoral College is Profoundly Undemocratic By Design
- Trump owes his victory to America’s unique Electoral College system
- How the Electoral College Rigged the Election for Donald Trump
- The Electoral College effect — in 3 cool charts
- America's Unique and Controversial Electoral College
- 9 Things You May Not Know About the Electoral College
- Hillary Clinton’s Popular-Vote Victory Is Unprecedented—and Still Growing
- Why Electoral College wins are bigger than popular vote ones
- Hillary Clinton's Lead Is Greater Than Multiple Former Presidents'
- Hillary Clinton's popular vote margin is meaningless in every way (except pithy tweets)