Sunday, March 21, 2010

People we never knew

Often I am struck by a sense of sadness when someone I barely knew passes. I find out too late what a wonderful and decent person they were. My friend Tom Ticen was like that - President of the Met Council, a man who befriended everyone, and who defended everyone - fearless, fiery, affable beyond words. So was my friend George Olson. George acted as my daughter's Grandpa on take your Grandpa to school day a couple of times. He was the heart and soul of my church for years - a man who could say in a few words what we all knew was the right thing. He was never sad, and he never said anything to hurt anyone (that I knew of). He died of ALS last spring. I wish I had known both of them FAR better than I did.

And today I learned of another - Margaret Moth. Her life story is compelling - someone who wouldn't let adversity stop her, who insisted on putting herself in the middle of the action to get the picture which would be worth 1000 words - I offer you this link: Margaret Moth - and ask you to go read about her. We do not see many her like in our lifetimes, and I wish I would have known her better than I now do in reading of her passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment