Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Friend Alan

This post is a few days late.  It is late because writing this post is difficult.

On Monday, my friend and a man who was among a very short list of people I admired most, passed away.

He passed away after a several year struggle with brain cancer.   He had known since at least 2008 that his struggle was one for time, not for a cure.  Yet, during the four years I knew him, I met him just after he was diagnosed, he was irrepressibly happy.  He was the kind of happy that lit up the room, he was the kind of happy that made everyone around him comfortable.  He was funny in subtle and overt ways that everyone, of any political stripe, of any persuasion, found compelling.  He welcomed everyone as if they were his brother or his sister, he never EVER judged a person harshly, though he might not always agree with their actions.

Alan was also a priest, he was the assistant priest at the church I belonged to.  The focus of the denomination is that it is known as "the church of the embodiment."  It is our/their aim to reflect the face of God to everyone around us, every day.  To welcome all, to be kind to all, to judge few (if we can help it).   To love all and to treat everyone as if they were are family, is, in many ways, the most noble achievement you can aspire to accomplish.  Alan represented that, he defined that.   His soft-spoken, gentle humor filled the lives of many people  He was the priest who went to North Memorial Medical Center and provided comfort to the families of those who were gravely injured or dying.  He provided comfort to the terminally ill in veterans homes.  He brought a smile to the darkest days for many people, offended no one, and helped many struggling souls to find peace.   He reminded me many times of another friend I had whom I met late in his life (Tom).  Tom taught everyone to be comfortable with themselves, to be content if they'd done their best, made the best decision  He helped anyone who asked, without judgment.  Tom and Alan both were men I wished, deeply, I'd met earlier in life.  I wished I'd paid more attention to them while they were around as well.

Alan was a man who will find many friends as his final reward, probably Tom will be there to shake his hand.  God knows they both lived a life worth living and were a shining example to those around them.  I guess for my part, if I'm fortunate enough, I'll have some good friends waiting for me on the other side.

God speed Alan Grant, I will miss you greatly.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss.

    When your time to die comes - may it be a long long time from now - I am confident that you are living your life such that you will have many friends missing you, friends who found you only occasionally fierce, but far more often kind. (That occasionally fierce is a good thing.)

    Count me as one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. Cancer is an awful disease. I'm sure he is in a better place, but it doesn't make the grieving any less difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dog gone:

    I am sad to hear of your loss. I hate religion, but not those who practice one in the belief that it makes them better people.

    I believe in one life in the here and now and I think, from what you said about your friend, Alan, that he lived that life well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you democommie, but I cannot claim the honor of ever having met Alan.

      This was my friend Pen's friend, and it is his loss.

      Although, I think when someone like this, who makes the world a better place by how he lives his life dies, we all lose a little something of that better world, just at a greater remove.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to your friend. He sounds like a wonderful man who will be missed by many. Losing a good friend is a difficult and painful thing.

    ReplyDelete