Friday, July 23, 2010

Lightning DOES Strike Twice in the Same Place

No, this is not a political post.  It could be considered a current events post.....if by current, you mean electricity, and if by event, you mean a meteorological event, lightning.


http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/143/nine-myths-and-facts-about-lightning.html

A friend just sent me some information that is timely and seasonal about weather - thank you Sara!  It expanded on what I already knew in some important ways, which I thought were worth passing along here. This is the height of the season for lightning. There is a lot of misinformation and old wives tales in circulation; we probably all believe at least one, if not more.

I hope reading the link, above, debunks them for our Penigma readers.  The myths about the timing of lightning strikes, how much more deadly lightning is than tornadoes, and especially that lightning can and does strike in the same place more than once fairly often surprised me. (you thought I was going to write 'shocked' me, didn't you?)

Going off in a brief tangent here, but considering the tremendous electrical power in lightning, I have often thought during bad thunderstorms that we are missing a good source of renewable power.  We should try to tap it for our use.  It seems to me that science should be able to devise a means of collecting and storing all that energy as an alternative to fossil fuel consumption, and in conjunction with other weather-related sources like solar, wind, wave/tidal forces.



In the meantime, read the article, and stay safe!  Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment