Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blogging and Harassment Part 2

When I opened my e-copy of the STrib this morning, I was surprised to read the front page story:Recurring nightmare on Mean Street.  The story charts the course of a five year series of events, including court appearances and convictions, and restraining orders where one person inexplicably harasses others.  The primary focus of the story is one single family, but as in the case I am writing about of blog harassment, other people were also harassed by the same person.

I do not begin to understand what prompts a person to engage in the harassment of another.  I don't understand what drives a person to the nastiness, I don't understand what drives a person to the frequency, the persistence of the behavior in the face of requests to go away, to stop, to behave like a considerate and civilized human being.  I don't understand what drives a person to ignore the golden rule that should guide our conduct towards other people, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I am learning as I go about technical aspects of this problem as I go; I am not generally a techno-savvy individual.  I don't think I should have to be.  I shouldn't have to take the time with either law enforcement or internet entities to make and resolve harassment complaints.  If you do decide you're no longer going to tolerate harassment, expect it to be time consuming, and budget your resources for it accordingly.  It is annoying but necessary, and  I believe ultimately it will be worthwhile.

At some point you may need to seek the help of an attorney; who may need to pursue subpoenas on your behalf.  That too may be a necessary allocation of your resources, both in terms of time and expenditure; it too is necessary and well worth it.  Subpoenas are necessary because of confidentiality issues, both legal and procedural.

There are aspects of my own personal journey through this experience that I have been directed NOT to share until it is concluded.  I will comply with that request.  There are a variety of choices in ascending level of severity available to bloggers who are seeking to end harassment that proceed through a variety of civil remedies to criminal actions.  As is evident in the STrib story, when people who harass others continue in spite of legal efforts to prevent their abusive behavior, they can ultimately serve time behind bars and have a criminal record as a result of their refusal or inability to stop.

I am hoping that will not be the case with our own harassment problem, but I am not holding my breath.  How far we need to go, how far I personally have to go to stop this is not entirely in my control.  It won't be entirely in your control if you begin this process either; you are in a reactive rather than entirely proactive role.

I have learned that the 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech does not apply to blogs; no one else has a right to post or comment on your blog if you do not choose to grant them access.  The content is yours, and within the terms of service the rights are on your side.  In conversations with other bloggers, it is amazing to me -- and disappointing -- how many ignorant would-be commenters believe they are entitled to have their thoughts and beliefs appear on your blog.  They do not.

I encourage you to re-read the terms of service of your blogging platform, whether blogger, or word press or other.  I encourage you to re-read the terms of service of your email provider as well, in case anything has changed.  Whatever response you make, be sure you are consistent with those terms of sevice.

I have learned in the course of this 'adventure' in red tape that it appears possible to get a restraining order on behalf of a blog, not only on behalf of individuals.  (Who knew?)  I have learned that merely annoying and persistent relatively polite behavior tends to fall into the civil sphere, but not always.  I have learned that when someone uses abusive language, like cunt, bitch, cocksucker, the f-bomb, and other derogatory or demeaning wording, that you are more likely to rise to the level of criminal harassment.  Whichever you are receiving, you don't have to tolerate it.

Whether people reading this post are politically right, left, center, or some outlier that doesn't fit easily into a category, it is my hope in writing about this unpleasant experience that you too will put an end to any harassment you experience.  There is a good chance you aren't the only person having the experience.  If there is one thing over which we can unite, it should be to stop this kind of conduct.
There are a lot of bad apples in the blogosphere; we don't have to roll over and accept it.  We can do something about it, each one of us. 

It isn't 'someone else's responsibility' ; it is ours, yours and mine.  It is like stopping bullying; someone has to stand up, and speak up, and to take the lead to make it stop. 

4 comments:

  1. Dog- Let me guess, this bully tries to comment anonymously? Hope everything works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This commenter uses a 'blognomen' a blogging specific identity like a nom de plume.

    But in fact we do believe we know his identity, which makes this all the less wise on his part. I think the fact that he has done it for so long to so many people has given him a false sense of entitlement and invincibiliity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Aurelien; we continue to persevere against our harasser, but thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but what if the blog/twitter/etc is a locked or private account?

    ReplyDelete