Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Comment on Ukraine and Joe Biden.

Somewhere else I made a comment about Russia's troop buildup on the Ukrainian border. I'm definitely not the family member most qualified to comment since I am literally related to experts in the field,  but I know enough about the country to say this:

Ukraine has been a political football between the West and Russia since the end of WWII. The problem is that there are ethnic Ukrainians in the West and ethnic Russians in the East. Ethnic Russians are the largest minority in Ukraine. 8,334,100 People identified themselves  ethnic Russians (17.3% of the population of Ukraine) in the 2001 Ukrainian census. We can get into how the ethnic Ukrainians feel about how they were treated under soviet rule, but look up Holomodor and Chernobyl.

Ukraine wants to be part of the European Union, but it has way too much baggage for that to happen. Although, I would be open to Ukrainian citizenship post-Brexit, but my last name isn't Biden. Toss in that Ukraine has a reputation for being corrupt.  In 2012 Ernst & Young put Ukraine among the three most-corrupt nations of the world - alongside Colombia and Brazil. In 2015 The Guardian called Ukraine "the most corrupt nation in Europe". Did I mention Biden already? Yeah, I might be able to get Ukrainian citizenship no problem if my last name was Biden. That and a big cash payoff.

I know enough about Ukraine to say that the first Trump impeachment was looking at the wrong person for corruption. From this comment you can understand why, as someone who is not a Trump supporter but has close connections to Ukraine (sadly somebody else instead of Joe Biden) I would say that. US MSM did a big disservice to the American people in not getting into that one.

Bottom line, Ukraine will be Joe Biden's downfall one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment