Sunday, October 9, 2011

Walk in the Sky:
An Amazing Park, and a Discussion on the Role
of Government and Spending

I have an interest in public policy and public art, including public arts funding which I have written about here. I saw something about this park this morning, of all places, on BBC World News,under their U.S.& Canada coverage, but unfortunately, I could not post their excellent video here, and without that video, the article was not very effective or informative. So here instead are a couple of videos from Youtube about this amazing place, and about the development of it. I find this an exceptional instance of vision and creativity, and I applaud it as something we should all consider further in debating the function and role of government in our lives, particularly the benefits of publicly funded projects using tax dollars.

For a better idea of what this park looks like, I offer you these additional videos:

This seems to me one of the best examples of the benefits that can come to the public with investment in public art and the development of public spaces.  The resulting revenue numbers are as inspiring as the views.  NOT funding such investment is penny wise and pound foolish, but it appears to be very much the premise of the Tea Party and the more libertarian-leaning members of Congress and members of the same political ideology at the state and local level.  They are wrong, they are mistaken; their ideology is flawed in practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment