Thursday, June 7, 2012

Remember

Today is the 68th Anniversary of D-Day, World War II.  In the course following the currents of your busy day, take a moment to remember the people who made such an important sacrifice so that you could do those things, so you can focus freely on your private concerns in our nation, and in a freer world because of it.

This is what war was like when the entire nation went to war, not only 1%.

Operation Overlord, landing on Normandy beaches


This may be apocryphal, but here General Eisenhower - later
President Eisenhower - addresses paratroopers on the
day before D-day, apparently where his comments
veered off topic onto fishing....






3 comments:

  1. dog gone:

    I agree with everything except the date on your header; it was 6/6/1944.

    My dad once told me, when I was bitching about the conduct of my employer (USAF) back in 1971, that in his war there was also discontent amongst the troops, they just subsumed their resentment and distrust to the larger cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! You are correct! I remembered that it was this week, but I should have do! Thank you democommie for correcting MY faulty memory.

    We should still remember - I think our WW II heroes would rather we remember them on an extra day than not!

    Please celebrate in the spirit, if not the technical date with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, in these here parts it's been the Queen's Jubilee and now the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete